Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Coming to Washington DC

I decided to attend international conferences held in Washington DC on November 7 and 8. One is a big event by the Nonproliferation Project of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Influential policymakers on WMD proliferation are invited as guest speakers. Nonproliferation project is the centerpiece of the Carnegie Endowment, and this is far larger than any other events held by the Endowment.

Main guest speakers are the following.

Mohamed El Baradei, Director General of International Atomic Energy Agency
Samuel W. Bodman, US Secretary of Energy
William J. Perry, Former US Secretary of Defense
Sam Nunn, Former US Senator (Democrat)
Richard Lugar, US Senator (Republican), Chairman of Senate Foreign Relations Committee

Guest speakers come from both current Bush administration and former Clinton administration. Bipartisan debates will be a good opportunity to understand on US nuclear policy further. Also, there are some foreign guests, including EU Commissioner Javier Solana’s personal WMD Representative and Egyptian Ambassador to the United States. Attendants are from Washington think tanks, the media, and the government, mostly. Students and NGO activists will participate in this conference as well.

The most critical topic will be Iran and North Korea.

Currently, WMD nonproliferation is one of the key areas in US foreign policy. I have posted some articles on nuclear weapons on this blog. Therefore, I will write about this conference when I come back to Tokyo. If possible, I would like to post an article from the hotel, using a computer in the common room. Just if possible.

I will attend another conference at the Woodrow Wilson Center Professor Alex Danchev from Nottingham University in the United Kingdom will give a lecture on Britain’s role between America and Europe. The Woodrow Wilson Center was founded in 1968 with approval by the Congress. It is quite close to the White House. The Anglo-American Special Relationship and the Transatlantic Alliance is a key topic on this blog. I hope I can write a good post about it as well.

6 comments:

LA Sunset said...

Well Shah, I hope you have a good visit. Have you been here before? If so, where?

You will like Richard Lugar. He sought the GOP nomination for president a while back (1996, I think), He's a very smart man. He has done a lot work with Sen. Nunn on locating and destroying nuclear material, trashed in Russia.

Be safe and enjoy yourself. And for sure, let us know how it went, okay?

Σ. Alexander said...

I have been to DC before. It was also a Carnegie conference. On this visit, I will attend Woodrow Wilson Center's event as well.

I know Richard Lugar is a key person in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Impressive guest speakers come to the conference from the US and abroad.

Thank you for your comment. I hope I can write good posts when I come home.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shah Alexander, I am enjoying some idle time and looking to see what Domain Business will bring up. this post is certainly interesting and informative. Domain Business is a good word to bring into the conversation. Great post. Enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shah Alexander, I am cruising the blogs looking for any information on Global Business and landed here. Although this post is interesting and got my attention, I will add this knowledge to my storehouse of information. I never know where Global Business will take me. Have a great day!

Always On Watch said...

How was your conference?

Σ. Alexander said...

I had a good time. I appeared in NPR's Talk of the Nation. I will tell you the detail in the next post.